Tuesday, March 17, 2015

 
In this series I will touch upon three factors that are involved in every situation and problem that we experience or face.  It is important to understand these three factors as we seek to make sense of the trails and temptations that we face.



Our Problems and God's Sovereignty
 
The first factor is God’s sovereignty.  God’s sovereignty has to do with His authority, rule, power, and control.  Whatever we are facing (or have faced) in life, God's sovereignty is at the center of it.  Although we may not fully understand, God has a reason and a purpose for everything that happens under the sun.  There is no ‘comedy of errors’ in life.  As Job, one of the greatest human sufferers of all time stated concerning God, I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. (Job 42:2)  Whatever shoes you have walked in, God is ultimately in the midst of your life and circumstances.  Nothing gets past God's notice, permission, and eternal plan for your life.

I am an avid ice-hockey player and still play at the ripe young age of 53.  Two summers ago I broke my ankle in a freak accident while playing in a game and had to have surgery to repair the damage.  As I thought this would certainly be a career ending injury my first response was, “Lord, why did this have to happen?  I have played hockey all my life and it is something that I really enjoy and look forward to.  Please don’t take this away from me!”  However, I am convinced that God’s sovereignty was right in the middle of my infamous hockey accident.  Firstly, I was giving way too much attention and focus on my ice-hockey.  I had played in a winter league, two spring leagues, and was currently playing in a summer league.  Secondly, I was continuously talking about writing a book on marriage, but was never really getting around to it.  I believe that God was sending me the message that my priorities were off and it was time to get writing that book I was always talking about.  So, while I was laid up with a broken ankle I wrote a book titled, Tails that Wag the Dog in Marriage that I am currently in the process of getting published.

In Isaiah 55:9-11 we read’ As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.  As the rain and snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

I am a firm believer that God's sovereignty is the most significant factor in every problem or situation that we face.  Even if we cannot clearly see God's purpose and our situation makes no sense to us, God's sovereignty is at the center of everything that we encounter.

Stay tuned for factor #2!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment